The Guild of Guardians
Founded during 1978 by the late Mr. Alfred Telling CBE who, at the time, was heading an appeal to acquire the Bomford Collection of Ancient Glass for the City Museum and Art Gallery.
This led to an awareness of the poor state of the glassware, silverware and other features of the Mansion House, gifted to the Council in 1874 by its original builder and first occupant Alderman Thomas Proctor, to which many important visitors and dignitaries came when they visited Bristol. Mr. Telling decided with the Lord Mayor of the day to start an organisation, whose objective would be to enhance the Mansion House and assist the Lord Mayoralty in Bristol. They formed the ‘Guild of Guardians’.